Friday, December 28, 2007

Chili

Chili - with its great Texas heritage , is a wonderful winter meal and is perfect for large gatherings . You just dump all the ingredients to a bog pot and simmer it for 2-3 hours to get a hearty bowl of chili.The first time I put the big spoonful of chili into my mouth , I thought that was one of the best dishes I have ever tasted. I started the recipe hunt immediately. Asked many people, tried many recipes ,added a few ingredients , took out some ; finally I got the the taste I wanted . So my pain is your gain .Here is my chili..

INGREDIENTS
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1 pound ground beef
1 pound beef sirloin cubed
1 can peeled and diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
1 bottle dark beer(12 oz)
1 cup strong brewed coffee
2 cans tomato paste(6 oz)
1 can beef broth(14 oz)
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
3 cans of kidney beans(15 oz)
4 fresh hot chile pepper seeded and chopped

DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat oil in a large pot.Cook onions , garlic , ground beef and cubed sirloin for about 5 minutes on medium flame, till onions are soft and beef is no more pink.

  2. Add all other ingredients .Mix well and simmer for about 2 hours .For serving , add some mexican cheese blend and a dollop of sour cream on top .Decorate with corn/taco chips and for green you can use chopped cilantro
Lessons Learned
[1]Always use the small variety of red kidney beans available in market.
[2]You want to hide some veggies inside this ; instead of cubed sirloin add a cup and a half of finely chopped vegetables (zucchini , squash , mushrooms , carrots etc)

No comments: