Sunday, December 2, 2007

Coconut Kothu Chicken

HOME | INDIMOM RECIPE | PRINTER FRIENDLY

My 2 year old son's favourite item from the menu is chicken. He is a happy man when mummy makes chicken. So I try all different versions of the good old chicken. This time I decided to make a dry version. I followed my usual list of ingredients, to add an extra kick I added some coconut pieces (aka kothu in malayalam) . I was not in a rush;So I started making the chicken ,kept stirring the curry now and then on low flame for about an hour . The result was a mouth-watering chicken dish . My son was a very happy man yesterday.I served the chicken with some rice and our Everyday Salad.

INGREDIENTS
1 lb chicken pieces , bite sized
1/2 cup shallots chopped
1 onion sliced thin
1 inch piece of ginger minced or grated
4 large cloves garlic minced
4 green chillies minced

1 tomato chopped
1 cup coconut pieces (kothu)
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 1/2 tsp kerala garam masala
1 tsp pepper powder
juice of 1/2 lime
Few curry leaves
salt , oil , pepper as required


DIRECTIONS
  1. Marinate chicken pieces with chilli powder , turmeric powder , salt and lime juice for about 30 minutes

  2. Heat oil in a large work and add the onions and shallots .Saute it for 5 minutes till lightly browned.

  3. Then add the ginger , garlic , green chillis , curry leaves and saute for 3-4 minutes . After that add the coconut pieces and continue frying for another 3 minutes . Then add the tomatoes and saute till tomatoes are soft.

  4. Finally add the marinated chicken pieces along with other spices.Continue frying till the chicken is browned and well cooked.
More chicken recipes
Chilli Chicken
Chicken Biryani
Chicken Enchilada



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.